What is a TOOBALOO?
The TOOBALOO is a phone-like device that allows children to hear themselves clearly while speaking softly into it. The design of the TOOBALOO magnifies their voice allowing them to hear their sounds and words distinctly.
TOOBALOO for Reading and Phonics
– Students are able to listen more clearly to their reading rate, phrasing and expression (sound, duration, pitch and stress)
– The TOOBALOO helps students build confidence in reading and comprehension
– Students need to practice oral reading at a level of effortlessness for fluency and comprehension
– The TOOBALOO provides motivation to read and reread their stories
– The TOOBALOO gives students opportunities to read aloud daily
– The TOOBALOO helps improve self-esteem for all levels of readers
TOOBALOO for Speech
– The TOOBALOO can be used by speech pathologists to help clients with fluency disorders, monitor and regulate their speech
– The TOOBALOO provides auditory feedback to help the clients detect their errors (articulation, phonological)
– The TOOBALOO can help to regulate vocal intensity and self monitor their fluency
– The TOOBALOO motivates students to use correct productions and good vocal qualities
– The TOOBALOO is lightweight and portable, which can be sent home for practice to promote carryover